Tuesday, March 22, 2005

PO-PO

Past few nights I've been hitting the sack early b/c of the new Jonathan Safran Foer book I've been reading. It's helped me catch up on some much needed sleep which is not to say the book is boring. Anyway, last night I fell asleep reading it @ 11pm. @ 3:30 I wake up to what I think is an aircraft or UFO landing atop my next door neighbor's house. The sound was crazy loud/scary and just wouldn't go away. I tried ignoring it by burying my head underneath two pillows. Didn't work. Then I threw my comforter over the two pillows under which my head still laid. Didn't work. So after 10 minutes or so, I got up and looked out my window. Friends, I felt like Cuba Gooding Jr. in Boyz n the Hood. There was a po-po copter hovering incredibly close to the ground not more than 6 blocks from where we live. It had a super powerful search light that beamed down onto several houses that I've driven by countless times on the way to Trader Joes. I'm telling you, that light was intense, all Close Encounters-ish. Every night you see helicopters hovering over LA, but never do you see them so close to the ground, especially in Los Feliz. I mean the only crimes I think that are ever committed in this part of town are: 1)not giving money to environmental causes 2)having a Bush-Cheney bumper sticker 3)eating red meat. The po-po must've been going after someone who'd done something not good b/c the search light kept darting around for a good while longer. There was no gunfire thankfully, but that would've made for a better story. Was I scared? A little but the search light continued in the opposite direction which meant things were safe where we were though who knows how competent the po-po are. Eventually, the helicopter left. Which was good. But b/c of the interruption the rest of the night I had some vivid dreams that ranged from sad/bittersweet (one about bumping into an exgirlfriend years down the line) to funny (landing on an aircraft carrier just in the nick of time to witness my cousin's marriage to his sister-in-law's younger sister). Dreams I could've done with out. Anyway, that helicopter incident gave me a better feel for LA than just about anything else I've experienced.
LOVE
ALEX

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home