Thursday, March 24, 2005

Melinda & Melinda

Oh man as much as Woody's gone down the shitter over the past decade or so, I still find myself catching his newest flicks. After a late afternoon iron pumping session, I noticed that the Arclight was showing Melinda & Melinda. And the timing was just right. I went and as thin as the movie was, boy did I love seeing New York City on the big screen. The film opens up in Pastis, one of my favorite old late night food joints---steak sandwiches to die fo!---, works its way around SoHo and the Upper East Side---if this whole film racket ever works out, I'm buying a Classic 5 up on the UES and gonna have 5 servants at my employ that'll put even Agnes Gund to shame, makes a slight detour through Central Park in the tawny glow of late afternoon, and settles down for two boozy scenes at Il Buco, a fantastic lil' joint on, I think, Great Jones St., where I had a lovely dinner with my folks and grandparents some years ago to celebrate grannies 60-somethingeth birthday. Place is so freaking romantic and candle lit: if you haven't checked it out yet, either take someone special or take grandma. I'm telling you, even the ugliest of you readers would look like angels there.
The movie was more enjoyable than it probably should've been but man did seeing New York---the lighting is fantastic---make me pine real hard not only for the city, but also for romance b/c hells yes, NYC in the Fall is sort of kneebendingly balls-out romantic. Unfuckingbeatable.

LOVE
ALEX

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home