Monday, November 22, 2004

Firth or Law? Streep?

So, K (there's your shoutout sister!) and cousin C and I caught the new Bridget Jones movie tonight. Pretty terrible (never seen a female character get shit on so much), but it did lead to a fun argument about who's the better actor Jude Law or Colin Firth. My cousin holds that Firth is the more talented and complex actor whereas I maintain that Jude Law is. Colin Firth seems to play the same sort of steely, stuckup aristocrat in every film I've seen him in, whereas Jude Law has shown how amazing his range is in films as diverse as A.I., Talented Mr. Ripley, and most recently I Heart Huckabees. He doesn't get the respect he deserves probably because of his looks and overexposure. Then we started talking about Meryl Streep. Sure she's a fantastic actor, but thinking about her career, it seems to me that she's made a lot of safe, very middlebrow choices. Not to take away from her considerable skills, but other than Susan Orlean in Adaptation, what other truly interesting character has she played in the past twenty years? Can't think of one. Maybe her character in Bridges of Madison County (one of Clint's best), but just maybe.

Earlier, I took cousin C to Beverly Hills to check out a store her firm redesigned. Couldn't tell the difference. We then looked at some scarves at Barneys. The one she picked out for me was pretty cool---what's with like superlong men's scarves?---, but then we looked at the pricetag. Damn the weak dollar! I guess I'll just have to do without one while I'm up in SF for Thanksgiving.

Quickie on the Mets: they better get Sammy Sosa. He had a bad year, but he's still good for at least 3 more productive seasons. Trade Piazza away if they need to free up some cash: he's done.

6 Comments:

At 11:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now I'm happy.

hugs and kisses,

Kat

 
At 8:22 AM, Blogger SHL said...

Oh elope with me in private and we’ll set something ablaze
A trail for the devil to erase
San Francisco’s calling us, the Giants and Mets will play
Piazza, New York catcher, are you straight or are you gay?
We hung about the stadium, we’ve got no place to stay
We hung about the tenderloin and tenderly you tell
About the saddest book you ever read
It always makes you cry

that's all I have to say about baseball, and I didnt even say it. Orel Hershisher lived up my street and my best friend got pitching lessons from him.
Ok, now that's it.
S

 
At 2:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm in NYC. I bought a scarf and hat at target for 9 dollars. Take a whiff. I smell like a genius... Will try to do a full posting tomorrow to update all on the goings-on in Nuggsville. Happy Thanksgiving, Eric

 
At 8:18 AM, Blogger Matt White said...

I like my dollars weak...just like my neighbors. YEOW! Burn!!

 
At 12:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sammy Sosa? Too impatient...his mega-career is over. The Mets don't need either. Love, aross.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger robyn said...

O, weak dollar, thank you. You make my Canadian cash worth so much more! Now I can contemplate attending more than two semesters of film school!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home