Friday, November 12, 2004

The Arcade Fire

So, last night I spoke to my brother for a little while and I asked him about this band that several friends of mine have told me is really hot and the NYTimes spoke highly of: The Arcade Fire. (I love how the Times has tried to become a cool music resource of late especially w/ the screeds of Kelefa Sanneh whom I respect, but find sort of ridiculous though I have to agree, The Chocolate Factory was by far the best record of last year) Who are these guys and what makes them so good? Anyway, in high school, I took great pride in keepin up with the ins and outs of the independent rock and roll music scene, but the past year or so, not only have I stopped going to rock shows---so freaking boring unless you've got friends performing on stage---but also stopped buying new rock records. I think it was a Shins show that did it in. It was a homogenous sea of young men and women bopping around to what I thought was some pretty weaktea hoo-ha and for some reason, I just got fed up with it all. So, I've lost touch with all the new rock that's come out of late but I'm really intrigued by all the buzz that The Arcade Fire has received.

Anybody want to send Eric and I a copy of the record? I will, in return, burn you Ghostface's Supreme Clientele.

One last day of shooting and then the weekend begins!

Love
Alex

4 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Blogger SHL said...

I have that album and so does Mr. Innes. An attempt is going to be made to get tickets on the night of the show at Spaceland on the 7th of December.
Hail the victorious dead!
Join the line.
S

 
At 7:10 AM, Blogger Gina said...

Go. To. Their. Show. Oh my god. I just saw them in Ithaca on Saturday, and despite the fact that they played in a tiny cafeteria-type room that was approximately 110 degrees Fahrenheit and had horrendous acoustics, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen. You can just tell they're having fun, and that just makes you want to jump around even though you're dripping sweat, and then tell them how awesome they are when you run into them at brunch the next morning even though you sound like a total dork. (At least I wasn't wearing the t-shirt I'd bought at the show...)

 
At 9:21 AM, Blogger alex or eric said...

This is not so suprising: my brother was at the show too! I'll ask him about it later today.
Will try to get tickets though I'm betting it's sold out. Sounds like a good time...sounds like it's hard music too which is a big plus.

 
At 11:50 AM, Blogger SHL said...

Spaceland already sold 100 tickets online and wont be selling anymore online.
So the girl behind the counter there on Friday told me to get in line, doors at 9, they will have 150 to sell day-of-show.
I have a rich history of standing in line for tickets for hours on end and if I am not working, would be willing to do so for the greater good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home