Thursday, January 19, 2006

Thundertrain vs. Trainbird vs. Night Thunder

Here's the deal...

Dave came to town. Friday night, we Omakase'd at Kiriko. Dave picked up dinner! That was amazing... We drank and drank and drank... I fell asleep on the couch of his hotel room and woke up with a vicious headache. Praise be to Gatorade. Dave and I grabbed breakfast with J4-Hart and A-Scards. Then after driving A-Scards home and J4-Hart to her hotel, Dave and I embarked on a mission. In a liquor store on Pico, we purchased a bottle of Thunderbird and a bottle of Night Train. We went back to Dave's hotel room (1 in the afternoon), put Guns N' Roses on repeat, cranked up the volume and proceeded to the mix the two disgusting beverages into one. Like Peanut Butter & Jelly, French Fries & Ketchup, Simon & Garfunkel, this is an amazing pairing. But what to call it?

Dave's vote: Thundertrain
My vote: Night Thunder
J4-Hart's vote (that doesn't count 'cause she wasn't actually present during the birthing of our creation*): Train Bird

The photos are, predictably, kinda silly:






It's probably the longest I've hung out with Dave one-on-one since high school... And it was just a fantastic weekend... After a post-Thundertrain nap, we headed to Alegria in Silverlake for dinner... We then tried to go to a friend's birthday party but finding parking proved difficult, so we ended up stopping by the nearby Jumbo's Clown Room (which is a tiny dive bar that has a stage where burlesque dancers shake it like a polaroid picture; Courtney Love apparently worked here in the days before Kurt, and before recording the yes-I-think-it's awesome "Celebrity Skin" album...) After seeing a lady in a bikini dance to The Rolling Stones' "You Can't Always Get What You Want", Dave and I headed back to the westside. We parked the car at the hotel, and then I proceeded to drink too much gin before falling asleep on the couch. I woke up on Sunday and the sun was shining bright! We guzzled water and aspirin, headed to Doughboys, had breakfast, and then just hung out in Santa Monica and wandered around Japanese markets on Sawtelle before I drove him to the airport.

I always get sad after dropping people off at the airport. Who doesn't? So I drove home, went to sleep, woke up and went to a dinner in honor of J4-Hart, in for the weekend from New York. Cobras & Matadors is a tapas place that has a great wine store next door, but honestly, if you like small plates, I highly recommend hitting up A.O.C. instead... Got to see a bunch of people I don't see enough (A-Scards, J-Leb, A-Nicks, Spragooey, etc.)... There was some karaoke, but I was pretty tired...

And here comes something you didn't see coming: No work on Monday. Schlebs and I decided to head to lunch... Parking my car, I scraped some guy's bumper. Should I drive away and flee the scene of the crime? I considered it, but ultimately left a note with my name, phone number and e-mail, saying I'd cover the repair costs. This kinda sucks, but maybe I'll be more careful parking now. Mostly, I'm just proud of myself for leaving the note. And at least i scratched the bumper of a honda civic and not something ridiculous like a bugatti veyron or ferrari enzo or a pagani zonda or whatever... I'm guessing it'll be around 300... No dent to bumper, just needs to be re-painted.... Anyone else have a guess about how much my lousy parking job will cost me?

"Paralegal" is down to 14:50. I've cut out a lot. Just showed Schlebs the most recent cut and she liked it; which makes me feel really happy... Just gotta find a place in L.A. to record ADR and do the sound mix so I can finish this shizz... Anyone have any good experience with not-too-expensive sound mixing dudes out here?

Alright, going out to dinner with my cousin. Everyone be well, Eric

* So it's clear, J4-Hart was the one to first bring together the Absolut Vanilla and Dr. Brown's Cream soda... a drink we all (we all being me and that dude writing his disseration on the rise & fall of M.C. Nuggets) now know as "The Flux Capacitor".

1 Comments:

At 9:22 PM, Blogger SHL said...

my cousin scott is a sound man in post!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home