Thursday, January 05, 2006

Rough Cut. Check.

Monday, I had no power in the house. With Alex gallavanting around Asia, I had nobody to send out in search of firewood, so I ventured out into the wilds of Hollywood, where I saw "Munich" and then "King Kong". "Munich" worked for me... I admire the movie a lot, and was pulled in the whole time... That movie has a lot to say; a friend compared it to an opening salvo in Spielberg's fight for peace...

Work is back in full swing... (I worked a couple of days last week) but it's pretty busy... I have to wake up at 6:30 tomorrow, and here I am at damn near 1 am, caffeinated, having just finished the rough cut/assemblage of "Paralegal". It's gonna be a 12-15 minute short film eventually, I hope. Right now, it's a cringe-worthy 19. At least it's shorter than the F-de-Saugatuck 35 minute rough cut...

There's a lot of anger and weirdness in "Paralegal". I hope it gets into festivals and makes people cry. I have no idea what this movie is about, except my sadness related to being a paralegal for 3 years of my life. Anyone wanna come over, watch the flick and gimme some feedback?

- Eric

5 Comments:

At 5:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Smells like Teen Spirit

 
At 7:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What did you think of KK?

 
At 9:55 AM, Blogger alex or eric said...

Mel-E-Mel, I liked but did not love King Kong. It's fun and campy and popcorny and big and beautiful and all things that make movies worth going to... And while most of it was so great, the Empire State Building climax was boring and seemed flat... Why couldn't there be a shot from the ground of people looking up at the huge gorilla atop the wondrous steel skycraper? Anyway, yeah, the bugs were great... Not since "Arachnophobia" have I seen an entire audience squirming like that... I sorta wish Jamie Bell's character had been absent... I'm losing patience for Adrien Brody. I liked him a great deal in "The Thin Red Line" and that's about it... A lot of KK's effects pulled me out of the movie (Running at the legs of brontos, whenever King Kong is running around with his hand grasped around Naomi)... "Master & Commander" is still my fav. for a movie which integrates visual effects awesomely. Anyway, KK is better than OK, but having seen it twice, I don't know if I ever need to see it again. Not to start a riot, but "The Neverending Story" is a better fantastical movie than Kong. Admittedly, I grew up on that movie. And this movie George Lucas made in '77 where space rebels almost get EATEN BY THE GARBAGE! So that's my quickly written 2 cents, Eric

 
At 11:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed on the fx -- I thought, hey, they borrowed those dinos from "Jurassic Park!" I think the giant leeches were also squick-worthy.

I have a beef with "Neverending Story" but it's because the book is so damn good. These are my favorite "fantasy" movies according to my movielens ratings -- http://tinyurl.com/7k62x -- have you done the movielens thing yet? See here for more.

 
At 2:55 PM, Blogger alex or eric said...

That's kinda neat... As opposed to Netflix friends, which feels invasive... I would give "Weird Science" a better rating, if only for the genius of Anthony Michael Hall in the bar scene. We are however in full agreement on "Clash of the Titans". I love that shizz. I like the music of "Neverending Story" so much.. The movie doesn't age well in some parts , but when Atreyu loses his horse buddy, I still am on the verge of crying.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home