Tuesday, December 20, 2005

PERM

I've been sick the past few days so I've been doing a lot of nothing at my grandparents' place. What I have been doing a lot of is channel surfing and after a full day of doing just that, I can say with full confidence that Korea is the land of awful perms. (btw, what the hell is "perm" short for anyway?)
I know a lot of whities are jealous of the fact that us yellows are blessed with straight hair. I don't really care. But, it seems like Korean-born Korean males are of the self-loathing sort. Almost every male celebrity, TV personality, athlete, etc., has a gnarly perm. It's absolutely ridiculous! They look like they've got a curly black helmet on. Some even look like they're sporting very very wet afros! I don't get it. I can't tell if it's an attempt at assimiliation (into what though?) or a passing fad. I hope it's a fad unlike the enormously popular cosmetic surgeries that young girls get to shape their jawline, to make their eyes less chinky, more anglo, and to raise the profile of their shnoze. Like it or not, that shit is here to stay.

LOVE
ALEX

2 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Blogger alex or eric said...

Dear Alex,
If you come back to L.A. with a giant Napoleon Dynamite-esque perm, there's a free dinner with your name on it at Kiriko. Anyway, feel better soon. - Eric

P.S. Perm stands for "permanent", I believe...

 
At 11:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

dude you should definitely try the "digital perm" from Jung Sam Mool! you will look just like Yonsama :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home