Saturday, May 28, 2005

BOWLING, i.e. SLOW MOTION BETTER THAN...NO! NO!

My brother knows more about contemporary music than anyone else I know and a few weeks ago, he sent me some music I requested (Mariah Carey, Ryan Adams, Common) and some he thought I'd like (Brendan Benson, Holletronix, Stephen Malkmus). Right now, I'm listening to "Live in Montreal," a DJ set by Diplo. Amazing stuff especially the opening transition from Ciara's "Oh" to YYY's "Maps." That Ciara song is ridiculously great. As is Mariah/Snoop's "Say Somethin' and "Common/Kanye's "The Food."
Anyway, I picked him up from the Burbank airport this morning and on the way back to the Hotel, we put in the new Hold Steady record. Uh, what's the hype about? Gosh. Snore. Anyway, glad he's here for the next few days.
Last night, I crashed a classmate's birthday party. That's right: CRASHED. I've known the birthday girl for some time and some would think us friends (as would I) but apparently, WE ARE NOT! She left me off the Evite "accidentally." I've learned one thing about Argentinians: they smell. Anyway. We had it out last night---she let me punch her shoulder and I let her punch my shoulder, a backsie from the time last semester when I forgot to invite her to a pho lunch---and everything is good between us again though my opinion of Argentinians and pretty much South Americans in general remains unchanged. Anyway. A bowling party. I hadn't bowled since 2001 Seoul Korea. Matt, Eric, and I went to this fantastic Thai restaurant right before where I of course overate and felt really gross when I got to Shatto 39 Lanes. I don't know, but my belly's obnoxious: fucker just gets in the way! A good number of kids showed and after a 30 minute wait---it must've been Filipino League Night---we got a couple of lanes. Matt came with but was out of commission due to a certain muscular ailment we won't discuss here. The best part of bowling ain't the shoes, the striking of pins, or the boozy comraderie: it's the ball selection. Doubtless that's the truth. Racks upon racks of black and orange and red/black swirl balls there for the fingering and lifting. If you get the right ball, it's heaven; if not, you'll jam your thumb and not enjoy yourself as much as those individuals who chose prudently. The first game was fun but the second game, I got a little tired and bloated from all the beers and so my balance was all off and I tanked pretty badly.
Afterwards, a few of us hit up BJs for a beer then to Fred's for a late night dinner. Second night in row I ate after 2AM. Gotta stop that shit, especially when you're eating something called " Bearded Mr. Frenchy." It was tasty but I DON'T LIKE WHAT IT'S CALLED AT ALL. We finished @ 4 and by that time, I was crying b/c of all the yawning I was doin': I'm getting too old to stay out that late. Pathetic.

Today, the ostensible supers of our home came and threw up some sheetrock in Eric and my bathrooms. YES.

LOVE
ALEX

1 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Blogger robyn said...

oh. i thought "going to shatto" after overeating was going to be a metaphor?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home