Wednesday, March 02, 2005

Fact: Goats are easier to push.

Eric writes:

What the hell did I eat yesterday? My stomach hurts so much.
I actually know what I ate yesterday that has turned my stoach into the night sky on July 4th. Ouch! Someone help me. Here’s the exchange that has turned my morning into anguish:
Me: Hola.
Taco stand guy: Hola.
Me (after having used most of my Spanish in the salutation): Can I get a chicken burrito with avacado on it?
Taco Stand Guy: You want it spicy?
Me (ignoring the fact that last time I had something spicy here, my throat closed, my nose ran, and I cried): Yes, please.
Taco Stand Guy: 3 dollars.

I handed him the money. He thanked me when I put a dollar in the tip jar before the burrito got made. I think he made it even spicier than the usual “spicy” as a favor. I took the burrito to A-Scards’s house where she was having a late dinner. We sat down and I began to eat the burrito:

A-Scards: Is something wrong?
Eric: No, it’s just a little spicy.

I downplayed how spicy it was and ate it. If my tongue had a larynx of its own, it would definitely be asking me as soon as I took that first bite what the hell I was doing. Hanging with A-Scards was fun. We had that important conversation that good friends all must have at some point: the if-i-had-a-cheese-making-farm-what-kind-of-animals-would-i-raise talk. Yeah, I know, most people would choose cows. But I said, definitely goats, ‘cause cows are too big, and “goats are easier to push”. A-Scards said goats probably smell worse than cows, and cows are friendlier and nicer to look at. I agreed with her that naming a cow is probably easier than naming a goat. You can give cows all sorts of nice names, but with goats I’d give them serious non-jokey names: Jasper, Lucas, etc… If I had cows, I’d name them all after different beef products (considering they’re dairy cows and only used in the production of cheese at our no-slaughterhouse-here-dairy-farm I think this is okay). I mean, you can name a cow: Double Double or Mr. Hamburger… Yeah, it seems easier to give cows sillier names. After that important conversation, I bid A-Scards goodnight and headed to my car, where I sat and drank water to combat the spicy burrito painful aftermath.

Here I am, having written this, and the stomach feels a lot better. Thanks for listening, and healing me with your prayers. Your holographic love toy, Eric

P.S. Been listening to Kim Wilde's "Kids in America". It's a really fun song. I prefer it to the theme song to "Kids Incorporated".

1 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, Blogger robyn said...

in canada, a "double double" is what you say at tim horton's (coffee and doughnut chain started up by the hockey player, trades heavily on patriotism, frequented by portly middle-aged easterners and kids who wear 'canada kicks ass' t-shirt accordingly).

what you get when you say that is a cup of coffee with two creams and two sugars in it: basically creamy, sweet, caffeine sludge.

if you're at tim horton's and you ask what a double double is, all motion in the place will stop and everyone will slowly turn and look at you for several seconds. then everyone will go back to what they are doing and pretend nothing happened.

there are also triple triples and even--believe it-- quadruple quadruples, but that's only for the more iron-arteried of the populace.

fun facts from the far north (which, by the way, isn't all that far north).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home