Thursday, February 24, 2005

Ted Leo & The Pharmacists put on a great show... Even when you've got a stomachful of ache...

Faithful reader,
You're only days away from an mp3 being posted here for your pleasure. It's Nuggets dropping words onto pre-fabricated beats. You might enjoy it. I made it with my new computer. More on that soon, Eric

Sunday Night. I got back from the desert. Went to dinner with Mo-T. Mo-T and I then moved on from Chevy's (which in Glendale made the worst food I've eaten in Los Angeles, hands-down. Come on, Chevy's. Step it up, motherfuckers. Or I'm taking my business to Chili's.) into west Hollywood for a Ted Leo & The Pharmacists show at the El Rey. Lemme just say, "Shake the Sheets" is wonderfully produced and has some amazing tracks on it. There's some sort of magic in the drums on the record. I can't explain it, but this record has a fucking pulse. Machines can't make music this good. Anyway, I was in the mood for some anti-Republican indie-rock and I got it. But before I speak of Mr. Leo and his compatriots, lemme tell you about the opening acts. By the way, Neighbor Nat met us at the show.

Opening Act #1. Usemusic.com is their website. Infectious shit. Makes you want to learn how to play an instrument and start singing songs. They’re making dance electronica hipster rock and are on the verge of vocoder overdose. I mean, most songs have robot voiced vocals from the dancingmachine/keyboardist. I scratched my head. There’s music this European being made in America? The show was sloppy and the band lacked cohesion in their live show. And honestly, there’s a lot of shit to dislike about their set. However, there were moments when they were on the stage that I wore a giant smile on my face and felt super happy. Lots of fun filled the room. Go to their website and watch the videos.

The concert was packed with teenagers. I felt old. They were like, "Oldtimer, can I ask you a question? What was it like when dinosaurs roamed the earth?"
Opening act #2. I don't know the name of this band. The lead singer looked like Kyle Mclachlan circa Blue Velvet. People went crazy for this band. I don't know if it was the detuned guitar (a white Gibson SG) or the guitarist who sang not doing such a hot job, but for whatever reason, this music was torture to my ears. Most unenjoyable music I've heard in a long time.

And my stomach began to hurt. I moved away from Neighbor Nat and Mo-T. Ted Leo & The Pharmacists hit the stage. The Pharmacists both have giant beards now. Ted was clean-shaven. He started doing his songs. There were a few I didn't know, but he did a lot off of Hearts of Oak and Shake the Sheets. The bassist seemed emotionless for someone rocking out. Ted talked to the crowd a lot. He came across as the coolest authority figure you've ever had. There's a wholesomeness to the guy that's nice. At one point, he introduced a song, saying he doesn't play a lot of stuff off the newest record, but that this one sounded good in sound check, so they'd try it. They launched into my favorite song of theirs, "Criminal Piece". Despite the stomachache. the concert was a great time. In the car ride back home, I drove in the rain with the window down. I had a lot of gas. Thanks Chevy's. Nothing I like more at a concert than trying to dance and hold-in farts at the same time. Mo-T gets my respect for not complaining too much about the gassy ride home.

It's been a good week. I went on a movie studio lot yesterday. Met up with some people to talk about job stuff. Saw A-Scards. Then wandered over to C-Marsh's, where we ate cookies and hung out. Haven't heard back yet about my job interview from last week. Hope I get it. The company seemed like a great place to spend my time from nine through five.

Going to another Beck concert tonight. Should be fun. Cat Power is opening. Meeting up with a high school friend. Might even wear earplugs. Oh, I'm going to be in New York for Passover (someone's gotta rock the pesach!) but more on that as it approaches. Monday is my half birthday. My mom used to get me half a cake when I was a kid. Awesome, huh? Have an amazing weekend wherever you are, Eric

P.S. The rain's been ridiculous(dare I say biblical?), but today was all sunshine so it's a nice break from Los Angeles trying to be Seattle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home