Friday, February 25, 2005

Coming straight ill like a Yanni cassette...

Eric to Base. Eric to Base.

Saw & Heard Beck last night. He said the above after "Guero".
Cat Power opened and people talked loudly during her entire set,
so it was hard to hear her. I like some of the songs on "Moon Pix" quite a lot... Most fragile
stage persona I've ever seen. I was hoping Beck would come out and duet with her.
His cover of the Stones' "No Expectations" with Beth Orton during the Midnite Vultures tour was/is amazing.
If you can find it, download it. If you don't enjoy it, you are wrong.
Will fill-in this post later.
Apparently the rain comes back this afternoon.
This post is gonna grow. Mark my words, Eric

Just got back lunch. Trying to find the energy to go to the gym. I'll probably head over there soon.
Things are well. Have been playing with Garageband on the new ibook, which has yielded a 3 minute
mp3 I'm hopefully gonna finish with this weekend. It's M.C. Nuggets doing the old crowd favorite "Let's Get Ridiculous".
I have no keyboard so all of the music is from loops that came with the computer. That being said, I've listened to it a few times and think it's coming out well.
Favorite lyric:
"All the women in the chat rooms know who I am,
I'm the one who backs up dirty words with a diagram.
Venn Venn Venn Venn Venn Venn."
Anyway, I'm trying to get brave enough to post the mp3 for everyone here to hear.
Just got a call. Another job interview on Monday. Good times.
Alex and I went for spicy tofu soup for lunch. Next time, I'm ordering it spicy, and not medium spicy,
'cause I want my throat to close up, I want my nose to run, I want to cry tears and be in pain when I eat
spicy food, and today's soon tofu didn't make me suffer enough.
A live recording of last night's beck show is up at purelivegigs.com so I'm downloading it while I write this post.
Last night was fun, but really, I don't know if I need to see every Beck show he does in L.A. This was my 3rd in 3 weeks and as much as Beck is my favorite musician, if there are any more shows in the next couple of weeks, I might not go...
There was no guitarist so Beck was on guitar duties last night, which was fine. The songs are so minimal that I think this album might have a chance of going platinum by end of summer. At least I hope so. People went bonkers for "Hell Yes" and "E-Pro". Black Tambourine didn't fare as well. The bassist was good but in one of the songs near the end, his vocals were off-key. But whiny me didn't let this ruin the show. Oh, no. It rocked. People were dancing intensely in my area. The girl on my left for half the show (with her sugar daddy) was a fake-boobed real-tanned girl who made out with her sugar daddy for a lot of the songs. Don't get me wrong, there's nothing I like more than seeing a girl who dresses like a stripper making out with a guy who looks like a ringer for Larry Hagman, but come on, these aren't make out songs (Are they?). Anyway, Ms. SiliconeSaline and Mr. Old enjoyed themselves. I was there with my high school friend, who enjoyed the show but like a lot of people who go to Beck concerts these days, was hoping for "Debra". Despite a Debra-less show, high school friend didn't leave disappointed. He liked the new stuff a lot and thought the kick-ass "Nicotine and Gravy" was as incredible as I did. Beck's backup band is getting better. The onstage dancer is enjoyable to watch, but it feels like a side-act. I mean, he's fun to watch, but I'm there to see Beck and his backup band create awesome rock. Anyway, after the show which had the best sound mix I've heard in a L.A. venue thus far, Peter and I went to a bar between Hollywood and Sunset. There were only 3 people there and we drank our beers while listening in on their conversation, about how asses have gotten bigger in women in 15 years, and how great this is. They didn't have a lot of support for their thesis, but they were all in full agreement that no ass can be too big. Guess we stumbled into L.A.'s version of the Algonquin Round Table. Peter and I drank the old-tasting beer, left and parted ways. I drove around Silverlake aimlessly. The Tiki Bar on Sunset was open. It's supposed to be a fun place (especially for people like me who love drinks with umbrellas) Might join Alex for a drink there later tonight.

My ipod shuffle came in the mail today. It's tiny and weighs nearly nothing. It's gonna make workouts a lot more fun, I think. Little will the people on the other ellipticals know that I've got M.C. Nuggets blasting through my headphones.

High hopes for a weekend of wine and song, Eric

1 Comments:

At 3:21 PM, Blogger SHL said...

Er, Alex, I think you should check out this link. It has to do with Tom Cruise.

http://infinitecardinality.blogspot.com/

Sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home