Wednesday, February 02, 2005

McDonalds & Sundance

It's been a couple of weeks since my last post. I would've on Monday but I got sick. The night before, I felt a little hot so I didn't think the heat needed to be turned on nor did I think I needed to wear much clothing to bed. Big mistake. I got the crazy shakes/shivers and a nice fever after I got back from my morning class. Growing up, whenever I'd get sick, I'd crave McDonalds b/c for some reason, that shit would always make me feel good. Eric graciously drove out to McDs and bought me my palliative K-cals for lunch: 1 Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese, 1 Filet-O-Fish w/ Cheese, 1 large fries. He also got an extra Quarter Pounder w/ Cheese. I ate my meal then half the extra cheeseburger. I felt like a fucking champ. Then I passed out. And died.

So Sundance...oh the stars the stars the stars (Best: Crispin Glover/Evan Rachel Wood (too made up!)/DJ Squalls/Tobey Maguire (at a screening of my film no less!) Worst: Elvis Mitchell (that guy is still the biggest bitch bar none)). I don't really wanna go into a day-by-day recap b/c that's pretty boring but I will say that my film played really well, I got to meet a slew of cool folks, went to some fun parties (scored a free snowboard!), and was very happy that so many friends and family came out the first weekend. There's so much to say about my experiences there but at the same time, there's nothing really significant about what took place there. I mean, it's a film festival. Sure, careers are launched there but for the most part, it's just a film festival. For every Hustle & Flow that gets picked up for a kagillion dollars, there are 20 smaller truly independent films that don't get distributed and are sort of forgotten. It's a tough game. Having said that, I did leave inspired to continue on w/ this ridiculous endeavor and not wait for things to happen, but at the same time, I got pretty tired of the film world and really for the first time came to grips with the fact that, in the end, the industry's so unimportant and stupid and boring. Sure there are some cool creative nice folks but the people who make things happen are for the most part ossified pussies who're full of all sorts of shit. It's been a while since I'd met so many dummies! (if any of you know me at all, I sorta can't stand those w/ paltry IQs.) And what's worse, is that these are the people who get movies made! It's incredible to think that these hucksters are the agents/execs deciding what gets the go ahead and what doesn't. Yes, I'm bitter about it, but at the same time, I've come to accept that filmmaking is first and foremost a business and that the creative folk have a great deal of responsibility to their investors which in a moebius-y kinda way then determines the kind of stories you're gonna tell. So, screw all this artsy bullshit: I'm in it for the cash and the hoes and the conflict diamonds and shit.

Roomies 4-ever: Director of Swim Test & Star of Swimfan

Robert Redford Goes For the Pick

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home