Friday, December 10, 2004

a boring fictional roadtrip to Japan (a new post by Alex below this one, by the way...)

Last night was bowling night. Quarter a game at Pico Bowl on Wednesdays. (5 bucks to get started, I think) I rolled two frames. Didn’t score near 300 either time. Was bowling with Nsay, J4 (sister of J3), S-Brahms, Spragooey, and some other folks.
I got goofy at the end and started trying to get everyone to join me in a midnight drive to Mexico. (I’ve never been to Mexico). I wanted an adventure, but everyone else had work the next day (today) so I got in my car, and drove it really quickly onto the beach and into the Pacific Ocean... I drove for thousands of undersea miles until I hit Japan. I drove up onto the shore. I knew it was Japan because Takeshi Kitano was standing there on the beach, refereeing a beach volleyball championship between famous monster friends of Godzilla's (Btw U & I, Mothra is looking a little strung out). I said the only thing I know how to say in Japanese: “Sushi, Uni, Unagi, Maguro, Toro, Gyoza, Age Dofu”. Beat T. laughed and blew his whistle. I looked at my watch. It was getting pretty late. I got back into my car and drove back to California. Man, the ocean is not only many miles wide, it’s also very deep. Good thing I had a full tank of gas, and a fast enough ride to outrun the Giant Squid. You know, this whole driving to Japan story is made up (really? - you say), which would be fine if it made for funny reading. It doesn’t. I’m sorry. I really just drove home from bowling and went to sleep. But, it sounds like S-Brahms really might be into renting a car with me and heading to Mexico. If such a road trip happens, you'll get the story as soon as I'm conscious/sober enough to write it...

Today - Went to the gym. Wanted to lift some weights but my wrist was sore from the previous night’s bowling. Napped this afternoon for an hour. Woke up and worked with DM on the pilot. We’ve got 4 acts plotted out. (It’s a 1 hour show). We’ve done this by writing a summary of every scene on a notecard. The notecards are on a bulletin board, and we move them around to try and figure out how all the storylines fit together. I hope we get to pitch this tv show. i like our show idea and it’s the kinda show i’d watch. (then again, i like a lot of shows that only lasted one season, so what do i know). lately, we’ve been spending half our writing time watching episodes of the O.C. (Season 1). I can’t say I love the O.C., but I can say it’s really addictive television. Mischa Barton delivers lines like she's in a Bresson film (B Bomb #1 in this post)

Got an e-mail from Kirschbaum today about music. He mentioned Joanna Newsom. I’d heard about her but hadn’t actually heard anything. Until today. I bought her CD. And I’m wowed and confused. She really doesn’t sound like most of the music I’ve heard before in my life. Her voice is sort of like if Bjork was American... (She sounds childlike at times, otherworldy at others) The instrumentation is pretty pretty pretty, and the lyrics, wowee... This is delicate autumn music meant to inspire strange dreams... i don’t know what some of these songs are about, but I’m glad I’ve got some new music in my life that I like this much... So her voice sounds like a 7 year old girl version of Cat Power and her lyrics are the best I’ve heard in a long time. Thanks Kirschbaum. I owe you a good music rec.

Tonight I went to a screening with Scards. We saw a movie for free. The movie is looking for a distributor. There was a balding actor in the film who made me laugh really hard a couple times. Just solid deadpan delivery.

Got home. Chatted with Alex. E-Mags picked me up and took me to a diner. I had a hamburger with avacado slices on it. Well, at least I went to the gym today I thought to myself as I bit into the sublimity. Then E-Mags took me to Rite Aid. (I had to show E-Mags pictures of one of my ex-gf’s in Maxim; um, yeah, I totally dumped that girl in the bikini; why? she fell asleep during Au Hasard Balthazar (that's me dropping the B-Bomb for the 2nd time)) We looked through the magazines and I found a strange one, I think it’s called Exercise for Men. It’s got pictures of dudes flexing but totally in a different way than in most other workout magazines I’d imagine. I think this magazine is targeted towards gay bodybuilders. Like, the guys are ripped, but posing in jean cutoffs in very alluring ways. Anyway, the ab routines looked pretty good so I picked up a copy. These guys really know how to crunch. Anyway, I had a talk with E-Mags earlier re: Maxim and how I used to read it on airplanes but because of my fear of air travel I no longer read it. I explained that my fear is that the plane will crash and I’ll be confronted by Jesus who will be like, “Why didn’t you believe in me?” and I’d be like, “I dunno. I’m Jewish.” And then he’d be okay with that answer but then be like, “What’s the most recent thing you did?” and I’d have to answer, “I was reading Maxim.”. So, I’m afraid of dying, and being confronted by the fact that I should’ve been Christian instead of Jewish and that if Maxim is the magazine I’m reading on the plane, it’s gonna get me in trouble with the tripartite almighty? Yep. Does this make sense? (Don't answer.) You see, I don’t believe in Christianity. But I’m still frightened by it. Anyway, I don’t think this is a major problem ‘cause my fear of being judged poorly by a god I don’t believe in doesn’t really permeate any other sphere of my life. Plus, I’ve got enough major neuroses to deal with that this one doesn’t seem too weird. Did I mention I’m single? Yeah! Plus, isn't there a commandment that says 26 year old boys shouldn’t read magazines that are designed as dirty magazines for boys not yet old enough to buy real dirty magazines? I just checked the bible. There is no such commandment. Um, in future posts I’ll try to be less crazy.

What else? I booked my ticket home to the East Coast. I’ll be spending next weekend in New York City. And get to spend more than a couple of days with my family. Speaking of family, one of my sisters got accepted to Columbia today. I’m so incredibly excited for her. While I'm saddened that Columbia Hot Bagels closed before she got to Columbia, Koronet lives! - Eric

P.S. Anyone else really enjoy british blogs? I really like stuff like this:
"Went down to the pub and had a session, then made our way to someone's place and got quite blotto. Highlight was a dinner of the HOTTEST chinese beef curry and rice with chips through it. Sounds rank, but it's amazing. Well when your half cut, a scabby dug tastes good eh? First mouthful, my windpipe went on strike in 0.1 of a second, and I was choking. Funnily enough so was my cousin in the sink. Family trait? After that hurdle, it was wolfed down in quick-smart world record beating speed. Then we watched The Life of Brian and had a giggle. After that my cousin and I cut a track back to his gaff..." Um, i don't know what a scabby dug is, but imagine it's like a garbage plate (something drunk people in upstate new york eat - http://www.geocities.com/garbageplates/ has info). Anyway, the quote above is from http://thelifeofreilly.blogspot.com/ which is a blog I just stumbled on in my internet travels (i mean, internet travels when not going on monster.com to see if there is anyone hiring a filmmaking paralegal with a penchant for ridiculous rhymes...)

3 Comments:

At 11:44 AM, Blogger SHL said...

Ew, that Brit post really, uh, took me back. Curry and chips. They like to say, A Curry, as in "Have a few pints, had a nice curry and chips." I mean, that Streets song...that story is very real. That was like, daily life as observed by Sarah Holmes Lebo in Belfast. I know it isnt London but it's engulfed by the colony so it still counts.
As for flashcard storyboarding, do you have the Mac app Sticky Notes? My uncle swears by them for when he's writing adverts. I think the real thing is better - that is, unless you have the new 20'' iMac display.
When I hear about bowling, and it is a story I am not a part of, I get jealous.
Yer pal,
Sarah

 
At 12:06 PM, Blogger Matt White said...

I ATE a Garbage plate! Yes, I was in upstate NY (Rocha-cha to be exact), yes I was drunk, yes it was 3 am, YES it came back up three hours later, and YES it looked exactly the same floating in the toilet as it did on my plate!

 
At 8:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

RE: J. Newsom - Really lovely and brilliant...and for some reason I feel really guilty about being attracted to her...

Innes

 

Post a Comment

<< Home