Friday, December 03, 2004

How relaxed am I? Let me count the ways...

Week’s been good, although unproductive for the first few days. (Read: Gym, Lord of the Rings Video Game, Burritos, Sleeping in)
Alex and I went to a Vietnamese place in Silverlake last night for dinner. In addition to the pho (mine was good) and summer rolls (too chewy), Alex and I split a giant crab. Kosher: Not at all. Delicious? Very much so. Alex and I were cracking open the claws in our mouths, sucking out meat, and spitting the shells out. Post emptied exoskeleton and post Wetnaps, Alex and I headed home. I then went on a short drive up to a bar called The Roost. E-Mags and I had some drinks and we rocked the jukebox. Now when I say we rocked the jukebox, what I mean is, we chose songs that the boozing hipsters at neighboring booths thought were cool. There was a birthday party (of skirt wearing guys from Tulsa, of all places) that went into overdrive when “Soul Finger” came on. A couple in a nearby booth were makingout/necking/firstbasing/hookingup/liplocking/whathaveyou and I felt like we were providing the soundtrack. E-Mags believed that this looked like a couple early in their relationship. There was a middle age guy hitting on a years-past middle age woman at the bar. He was like Ben Stiller in the Ben Stiller show, "Do it". He kept insisting on buying this lady a drink. She said, "I'm married." He said, "Of course, you're a very pretty lady. Have a drink." He kept insisting.
Was in bad listener mode yesterday. Driving A-Scards to the westside, I would slowly stop listening while she spoke, and then I’d interrupt her stories with whatever I was thinking about. I’m a terrible listener sometimes...
Feel like I'm pretty much over losing my job. Have been cleaning all afternoon to get ready for tomorrow night's shindig. Gonna go out shopping tonight for all sorts of party goodies (you know, the usual: Bacardi 151 and Bic Lighters). Really excited 'though have no idea where people are gonna park. Some may have to park blocks away and then walk to our house. Walking more than a block to get anywhere is a strange thought to a lot of folks outside of Manhattan. Bought the RC Cola. Gotta get the Crown Royal Whiskey. And then I can kick back with friends and have some Royal Royal Crown Crowns, a drink I've never tasted, but have invented. It's not an elegant name, and it's hard to say quickly when ordering, but I think it'll catch on: Yeah, Royal Royal Crown Crown is totally the new Jack and Coke.
And please don't e-mail me with all these questions about what Alex is wearing to the party. I don't know yet. I'm just his roommate, not his stylist. (I'd guess blue jeans and dark sportcoat, but then again, maybe he's pulling out the madras pants and lacoste shirt)
I'll report back on the debauchery/mayhem that is our party as soon as it's over. Hopefully, I'll embarass myself and propose marriage to a girl I've just met. Hmmm, maybe I can just wear the tearaway warmup pants and make sure that MJ's "Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" is on the iTunes playlist. 'Cause that's the kinda night tomorrow should be. As Nuggets would say: Scandalous! Ridiculous! / Can you handle this, 'cause I'm ticklish?
Anyway, songs I put on the jukebox yesterday (that I remember):
The Zombies - This Will Be Our Year
The Beatles - And your Bird Can Sing
Bar Kays (sp?) - Soul Finger
Johnny Cash - Rowboat (a Beck cover; Rowboat was on Stereopathetic Soul Manure, a compilation album of sorts of early beck songs, Satan Gave Me a Taco is not the most important song on the album for me, I prefer Modesto which sort of feels like a great song about Southern California cities; Putting it Down is good, Alex as I remember really likes Crystal Clear Beer)
The Shins (you know the band that'll change your life) - Gone For Good

In the car, I played Elizabeth Iron & Wine (Most recent album), Loudon Wainwright, and Kings of Convenience (Most recent Album). Loudon Wainwright has this "Last Man on Earth " Album. The lyrics are sometimes forced but the emotion is so sad. If you ever need a melancholic album about the sadness of middle age (and your parents dying and kids moving out) as opposed to a sad album about being in your 20's and having to break up with your girlfriend on the Lower East Side 'cause she's moving all the way to Astoria.

Astoria rocks by the way. Bohemianhall.com. Need more be said.
Everyone have a great weekend. - Ericlly yours, Eric

1 Comments:

At 4:39 PM, Blogger SHL said...

eric...is that Astoria as in, Astoria Oregon, on the Columbia River, aka shooting location for Goonies?
Love,
Samwise

 

Post a Comment

<< Home