Wednesday, December 08, 2004

FIRE!

First, I have to thank Sarah Lebo for waiting online to get tickets to the Arcade Fire show at Spaceland last night. You are wonderful.
So yeah, 1st LA rock show. 1st rock show since I don't know when. I'd been listening to Funeral a whole lot and expected the show to be great. And it was. Danced up a storm I did. Showered at 1:30AM which was a nice feeling. Saw Beck!
Spaceland's a tiny venue not dissimilar to the main stage at the Knitting Factory. For some reason, the AC was busted and so everyone was sweating juicy gobs of sweat. The smell.
I could go on and on about why the show was great, but the thing I liked the most was how much fun they were having especially this one guy---sorta looks like an ex-girlfriend's younger brother---who didn't always play an instrument but whose vigor and joy was infectious. Even the weak link on the album---the female singer---was really lovely to watch and so damn adorable!
Best thing I can say is that the show may have restored my faith in live rock shows.
(Sorry Lebo, this post sucks so you win the bet)

3 Comments:

At 1:52 PM, Blogger SHL said...

When did you see Beck? Do you mean the guy in Irving who had to have shared at least 3/4 of Beck's DNA?

 
At 2:05 PM, Blogger Christian said...

The Arcade Fire - So much hype! I compare them to Interpol. The music is well crafted, well produced, and the image of the band is well styled. For some reason, they just don't do it for me. I'm interested in seeing them live, however. Sometimes you never can tell from a recording.

But don't even let me get started on Interpol. Those dudes put me to sleep.

 
At 5:36 PM, Blogger alex or eric said...

Lebo-
While Jordan and I were waiting for his car, saw Beck turn to say bye to some friends and walk through the lot on his way home. Wearing peacoat and skinny pants.

Christian-
Yeah, I don't know much about Interpol: heard bits of their first one when I was living in the East Village and didn't like it. Trust me, I was very skeptical of Arcade Fire mostly b/c I stopped caring about new rock (new pop and hiphop/r&b I like a lot) but I like the CD very much and the live show was pretty excellent. Very fun. Shouldn't miss them live.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home