Wednesday, March 08, 2006

BONDS

What does Barry do now? Folks have suspected Bonds of steroids use for a while now but this new book is the final nail in the coffin. He's done. But hell, I really love watching him play. The saddest thing about it is Bonds didn't need to juice up. He was well on his way to the Hall of Fame. When suckers cheat, that's somewhat understandable. When greats cheat, that's unforgivably greedy. I do hope Bonds plays this year --- partially 'cause I'd like to catch a Giants game up in SF this summer --- but I hope his records are expunged and he spends time in prison with other beefy bags of meat.

LOVE
ALEX

1 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Bonds will cry himself to sleep on his gargantuan pillow. In public, you'll see no reaction from him. This is a man I grew up rooting against (Go Dodgers!), yet came to respect during my time in the Bay Area. He's a fantastic hitter and really believes it is him against the world, and I think his use of steroids plays into that.

His goal was to be the best to play the game. When he saw others taking the juice, which was not illegal, and getting massive jumps in homer totals and public adulation, he figured he would as well. I think he didn't like everyone jumping on McGwire's nuts, especially when he'd already won 3 MVPs at that point. Nobody's saying it, but there's possibly a racial issue to his motivation (and subsequent martyr complex) as well, at least in his eyes. See his comments on Andy Van Slyke when Barry left the Pirates.

I think you can't take his records away because he was merely playing by the rules as they existed during his era of baseball. This point has been made in the media, but Ruth didn't play with some of the best of his generation because they weren't white. Hank Aaron hit 20-something homers after prolonging his career as a designated hitter. And Bonds hit a bunch of dingers after baseball decided to ignore players beefing up and suddenly crushing the ball. The best example of this was Brady Anderson, who you don't hear much about these days.

The most amazing thing for me, and the main reason I believed in his innocence, was how Barry's body didn't break down like all the other abusers. His recent knee trouble has me questioning him.

Finally, I think Barry in prison would be hilarious. Can we make a Lifetime movie about it and have Wesley Snipes play Barry since he already played Barry in "The Fan"?

-Mat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home