Tuesday, January 31, 2006

NY TIMES ARTICLE

That article today in the Arts Section? About USC film school? Here's what should've been quoted:
Q.
A. David Arnosk...Aronosky...Arofsky...His name escapes me right now but, in any case, he was the genius behind "Requiem for a Dream." I saw that when I was 20. It blew my effing mind! I knew right then that I wanted to make visually arresting movies about real people doing real things to each other a lot. The scene that really convinced me that a movie can be a work of art is the one where Jennifer Connelly gets a baseball bat shoved up her...well, if you haven't seen it, you got to Netflix it. It's awesome. So's the rest of the movie. Really really real. Really.
Q.
A. Probably "Crash." Again, so real. Easily the best film of the year. I want to make movies like that; not trite piffle like "Munich." By the way, Spielberg is such a sentimental hack. When's he gonna get real? Anyway, I want to make real character-driven films that deal with real issues like race and stuff. In a word: drama, capital D. That's why I'm at film school because you know, I'm a human being and as a human being that interacts with other human beings on a daily basis---at school and in life--- I can't help but care about other human beings. Their lives, you know? Like in "Crash." God, thinking about that film makes me tingle. Don Cheadle is so good. I'd take him over Denzel any day.
Q.
A. I'll pay it off when my screenplay gets sold.
Q.
A. I'm juggling a few ideas but right now, the one I'm most into is a character-driven ensemble coming-of-age musical about a down and out heterosexual who finds love in the unlikeliest of all places: outer space. I googled some terms, so I'm pretty sure it's a story that hasn't been done before. My dad's half-sister's neighbor's dog walker's acting coach's manicurist's homosexual friend used to wait tables at Koi so he knows some agents who'd be interested in taking a look. It's all about who you know, you know?
Q.
A. Life's not fair. To be honest, I know most of us won't make it. That's just the truth.
Q.
A. Because, well, I'm confident that I have what it takes. USC has nurtured me and continues to do so. The faculty's world class and the students are all really smart. And they're so nice. But most of all, it's because really, despite the "reality ends here" sloganeering, reality does matter and I'm engaged in that. Hello? 9/11?
Q.
A. Alex Chung? Off the record?
Q.
A. Well, not to burn bridges, but between you and me, he's a huge

LOVE
ALEX

2 Comments:

At 12:00 AM, Blogger robyn said...

Sooooo, are you saying the entire article should have been quotes from someone's anus? The collective film school anus, perhaps? Maybe get Ace Ventura for a photo op?

 
At 12:41 PM, Blogger alex or eric said...

Would've made the article less vapid to say the very least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home