Thursday, September 01, 2005

California, did you miss me? It's the same Eric. Only with a slightly lighter wallet.

After the car accident last week, it felt good to be going on vacation. I've returned from my birthday travels to the East Coast. Each day there was full of fantastic moments. And now, here I am, back in Los Angeles, feeling like I usually feel after a great trip to the East Coast: far far away from home. I don't have the time right now to discuss everything in detail, but I'm planning to ASAP...

On Friday, I left work a little early and went home, packed my bags, and ran some errands. At 9:45, my plane lifted off from Long Beach. Next to me: some dude with a full tennis outfit and rackets, looking ready for a long nap before the big game. I had a big game of my own coming up on Saturday...

Anyway, I took a couple of painkillers and fell asleep listening to my ipod shuffle. Mark my words: in '05, I'm getting a regular ipod, and I'm going to make a mix of music to sleep to. Whale songs vs. Sufjan Stevens vs. Alisdair Roberts megamix, here I come! (If you haven't heard Illinoise, pick that shit up: Casmir Pulaski Day is my fav. song of the summer (aside from whatever music ends up on alex's sounds-from-the-street-summer '05-thug-jams-mixtape). Alex loves some hip hop. Keep sending it downstairs man... Keeps me inspired to follow my dreams of having every eardrum in America bleeding from the M.C. Nuggets inevitable triple-album.

I slept and woke up in New York. 5:55am. SATURDAY!!!
Gate -> Baggage Claim -> Airtrain -> E-Train -> Former Apartment on Waverly Place.

I woke Paul and Martha up gently (no airhorn or crying babies unfortunately at my disposal). Paul and I went on a walk for orange juice and seltzer. We fell back asleep. At noon, I woke up. We all stepped out the door and headed out for Brunch.

Alas, Grey Dog was packed. No super-thick toast or homemade raspberry iced tea for the time being...
We turned a corner, and fate struck.
BLUE RIBBON BAKERY.
I hadn't eaten since lunch the day before, which resulted in the gluttony of ordering a 6 oz steak with two poached eggs on top of it. A breakfast of champions. The red wine sauce on top of all it sealed the deal.
Blue Ribbon Bakery is fantastic. Thumbs up.
The pate was too cold and too dense and thick to be really enjoyable, but everything else was great. If you love bread, hit it up sometime for brunch.

Went back to the apartment. Paul, Martha and I watched a few episodes of Chapelle Show. Paul ran away for his bocce ball championships. (The other team didn't show up so Team Balzac came out ahead!) My sister K showed up. We watched Wet Hot American Summer, and Martha packed. She had to leave that night for work in Vegas. Legit work, unfortunately, but I'm sure she'll return with some fantastic stories, nontheless...

Sister K and I walked around a bit. I had an iced tea while she ate her lunch. It was late afternoon. My phone rang. Paul. We met up with him, J-Ro, and M. The Belgian Beer Bar on West Fourth. Vol de Nuit is the name. Yes, Hoegaarden and Lambic Framboise wrapped the afternoon up quite nicely.

We headed over to John's Pizza on Bleecker Street and got in line. Autographed picture of Dave Faustino in the window. It's a pizza that Bud and I can agree about. More about that later.

It's 7pm... I'm headed out now. Memories of a birthday party like none I've ever had to come soon. Looking forward to sharing them. Yours, Eric

P.S. West Coasters: This Saturday (I'll send an invite out) I'm hoping to have my California birthday bash. I'm thinking of a lunch, at The Bucket in Eagle Rock. Burgers and buckets and beer, Oh My! As soon as I know, will let you know...

P.P.S. Bought a new cell phone (old number will still work) and um, I lost the rental whip in the mall parking structure. Called Mom and had a great quick talk with her about the sneakers she got me, while I walked around, trying to find the fly gold ride. I eventually found El Toyota de Oro. Camrys are very easy to lose. Next time I rent a car, I'm going into Hertz/Enterprise with a plan: White Countach.

1 Comments:

At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eric... where is "Party wit da the Big Girls" ? I love that song. Miss you and Happy Birthday :)

Love your Nordic Goddess Maggy

 

Post a Comment

<< Home