Wednesday, August 10, 2005

MOVIES

Last Saturday, K and I went to the Universal City Walk which is this weird fake townsquare at Universal Studios to do some moviehoppin'. City Walk is like the internets given physical dimension which is just another way of saying that it's an outdoor mall. Lots of distractions that suck up time. Anyway, the multiplex is pretty decent and was showing all the blockbusters we wanted to see but didn't want to pay full price for. Our goal was 5; we made it through 3. After 3, the bods started to breakdown and the timing wasn't good to hop into a fourth (there was NO WAY we were gonna sneak into DUKES OF HAZZARD which is just about the best reason why those bitter well educated Saudis hate me and you. Then again, we did see STEALTH: a paean to jingoistic self-aggrandizement; oh well, nobody's perfect.) A nostalgic time machine of sorts, moviehoppin' brought me back to the halcyon yesteryears of middle school (first kiss)...and high school(SAT I & II)...and college(sweet glimpse of Eric's balls sophomore year)...and graduate school(26 years old). At what age does moviehoppin' become shameful? NEVER. So yeah, we started at noon and got out @ 6:30. STEALTH, MUST LOVE DOGS (gag...and...gag), and BAD NEWS BEARS (disappointing given who was behind it). Tried for SKY HIGH---which I bet would've been bonkers---and THE DEVIL'S REJECTS which is supposed to be interesting on some level I think. I've got a few more moviehoppin' Saturdays ahead of me and that should just about carry me into the Fall season where the films will ostensibly be worth the price of admission.
In addion to those near masterworks, there was JUNEBUG and 2046 the past two days. Both worth the price of admission.
JUNEBUG: man oh man GO SEE IT! Just GO!
2046: Wong Kar Wai's latest. A disappointment in my book. A little too fashion magzine-y. Of the great Asian filmmakers today, he's sort of on the bottom rung after this one.

I've got 8 more days of babysitting, I mean tutoring, left!!

LOVE
ALEX

1 Comments:

At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THE DEVIL'S REJECTS...that's some shit right there. it doesn't hold a candle to HOUSE OF 1000 CORPSES but it's worth $10 or however much movies in LA cost. Zombie said he liked REJECTS better than CORPSES...but that's a load of shit as far as I'm concerned. and of course there's Sherrie Moon Zombie's ass--it's worth 20 bucks at least.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home