Monday, July 18, 2005

MALIBU

Sayonara LA! HELLO MALIBU! Yeah right I wish. If only, right? Sheesh. Anyway, KVondy and I drove up the PCH to hang with my old high school buddy Asher, his girlfriend of I don't know what a decade, and his mother at their family spread right on the sandy shores of Malibu CA. They own three not too ostentatious houses right on the water: been in the family since the 40s. Asher and Rebecca were visiting from Austin which from all accounts is a great city. And from what I've seen of the new season of the Real World (at the gym of course as Eric and I still don't have TV), it's also a great place to get your ass handed to you. Getting kicked in the eye? Ouch. On the drive up, we listened to the Clap Your Hands song that has that infectious bassdrum techno-y line, some Boyz N Da Hood (pretty great ATL hiphop), Mariah Carey (that record's still a winner), and some selections off the Santa Barbara mix CD Vol. 1. Windows down. Sunroof open. The volume cranked up to earplitting. Sun shining. Wind blowing. Sunglasses. Ocean. Blue skies. Zero humidity. Etc. Bellissima.
The waves are brutal up around Malibu but if you swim out far enough, it's pretty calm and wonderful. The water was clean and warm. Lots of seaweed though. How many times better than Dockweiler State Beach? Oh, just about a million times better than Dockweiler Sate Beach. We played a little whiffleball and tossed the disc around on the lil' swatch of sand that's all their own. Pretty freaking relaxing: would've tumesced had my trunks been dry and looser. Then after a few helpings of fruit and babka from Zabars (how dope is Zabars?) we got out tennis racquets and walked next door to the O'Malleys (of the Brooklyn Dodgers) and played some tennis on the most plush private court I've ever stepped foot on. Not a care in the world. I felt like liquid. Didn't want it to end. But end it did as we had to go back to LA: I to neighbor Matt's outrageous Toga party where I played Lou Pinella for a while, and Kat to San Diego to see a friend. I hope to be back next Saturday at the very latest to enjoy, all over again, the sun, the breeze, the sand, and the ocean. Not to mention more Jewish food.

LOVE
ALEX

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home