Friday, April 08, 2005

My favorite iteration of Menudo:

Eric writes:
Went out last night with A-Scards. She took me to a concert to see Ray LaMontagne at The Avalon in Hollywood, which it turns out is a very nice venue to see live music, provided you stay away from the noisy bar area(s). Ray, the story goes, is a former factory worker who decided he wanted to make music. It's a good story. The audience loved him, but there was something that struck me as off about the performance. I'm not sure what it was. You know, I liked how he sang, I liked his musical accompaniment (drummer, upright bassist, 4 violinists and a cellist). His voice sounded like Joe Cocker's, and the songs were good but didn't really seem like anything new to me, and the lyrics came across, at times, as somewhat trite. That's not to say some of these songs have their moments, but watching someone try to rock out on acoustic guitar that hard reminds me why I have Dave Matthews issues. I liked the first five songs, but then got bored, and then antsy. For me, The music was like decent background music you'd hear at a Starbucks. Which doesn't mean it's bad. 'Cause it isn't. Just not particularly exciting for me. "Hannah" and "Hold You In My Arms" were the 2 songs I liked most.
Walking to the concert, Catherine Deneuve and Brigitte Bardot came up in conversation between me and Ms. Scards. I posited that film dorks are either Bardot guys or Deneuve guys. I then theorized that during a lifetime most film dorks are into Bardot, then into Deneuve until their mid-60's, at which point, they're all about Bardot again. Riddle of the Sphinx kinda stuff, if you get me. Putting that aside, I'm more into Kim Novak than either of them, even 'though she's kinda butch. I dare you to watch "Kiss Me Stupid" and not fall in love. (If only Peter Sellers had not dropped out of that movie, it would've been a masterpiece.) And of course, Bresson casts beauties in his painfully austere masterworks. (Yes, I'm counting down the days until Au Hasard Balthazar comes out on Criterion DVD. It's only a couple of months away. Please put the dork stamp right on my forehead.)
Last night, I had the uncanny ability to sing like Bruce Springsteen. A-Scards can testify. It was eerily cool. I woke up with a sore throat and unfortunately unable to repeat the Boss-emulation. What happened? I hope it comes back, just so I can change the answering machine message. "Hi, this is Bruce. Alex and Eric aren't here. Do what the Boss tells you and leave a message."
Nothing else to report. Temping next week, so that'll be good. Had an interview yesterday which went well, so that's good. What else is good? Oh, the weather is good. My new haircut is good. (Picture coming soon!)
One more thing... The other night (Wednesday), Matt, Alex and I drove by the Star Wars line outside the Chinese theater. While hilarious, also a tad depressing. They had computers and sleeping bags. And yes, two of them were engaged in a lightsaber duel (both green, Jedi practice I guess).
I lied. No Menudo talk... Gotta run, Eric

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home