Monday, April 18, 2005

ACCIDENT

After about 9 months in LA, I finally got into my first car accident this evening. One more thing to cross off the board before I get bored w/ this town. Here's the story.

I met w/ my SC Christian Mafia at JHarrison's place from 5-6:30. A great group of guys that gathers weekly to shoot the shit and get all up in agape which I guess makes it a men's group which I guess makes it official: I'm getting old. In any case, we end each get-together w/ prayer requests. I had a few but for the most part, I had only thanks to give. Sure, the shoot was tough-going on Sunday, but overall, things are pretty good. I have great friends in fact the ones I've made at SC I'm beginning to love like those back home. My family and I couldn't be on sounder footing. I'm not mired in debt. SWIM TEST continues to play festivals. No new nightmares. I just got a distribution deal. No real worries. Things are going my way for the most part. Lots to be thankful for.

The meeting ends and I get in my car and start my drive back home. I'm driving down Washington listening to the radio and just like enjoying shit. As I approach Vermont, I see a red Celica peek its nose out of the parking lot of a strip mall on the right side of the street. I don't think anything of it b/c I've got the green and there's no way the Celica's gonna turn into oncoming traffic. WRONG. The Celica accelerates out of the strip mall lot and smacks right into the back right tire of my vehicle causing it to fishtail into the next lane. I lose control of my car for a moment but I manage to steer it back into my lane. I break hard but amazingly somehow I think to look in the rearview mirror. I look and I see that there's another vehicle right behind me so I release my foot off the brake and actually give some gas so as to not get rear-ended. I drive right up to the intersection and gently brake to a halt. The light's still green and I'm shocked and relieved that I didn't crash into any other vehicles. I see that the Celica's pulled over on the other side of the street. I turn around and park behind him. I'm fine. I'm not angry. I actually laugh when I realize what just took place in the context of what came out of mouth only minutes before at bible study.

The driver of the other car is not hurt. Nor his wife. Nor his young daughter. Nor his 6 month old baby. Thank God. I shake the man's hand---it is hard w/ calluses--- and begin procedures. He admits fault. I ask for his license and insurance information. Turns out he doesn't have a driver's license. Nor insurance. Nor does the car belong to him but to his cousin. Hmmm. He's a decent man w/ a wife and young children. He tells me he works hard to support them and doesn't have lots of money. He tells me he is fucked. He is awfully kind and the last thing I want to do is get him in any sort of trouble w/ the law. I'm in a bind. I can't call the cops b/c that would ruin him. But I need to get my car fixed b/c it is fucked up. We stand on the sidewalk for 20 minutes trying to figure out a solution that works for the both of us. I meet his wife and children. They don't speak English. The little one is beautiful.

He offers to pay for the repairs in cash. And for some reason, I believe him. Foolish or not, I trust this guy. I believe he is a good person and will make things right. I call my dad for some advice and I tell him that I think this man's an illegal immigrant w/ a young family and that I don't want to ruin him. He understands and tells me that I should get all his information and get him to sign a makeshift agreement letter. I take down his cell and home numbers. I take down the license plate number. I take down his name L_____ L____-S_______ and address off his Mexican ID card. He goes across the street and buys a disposable camera and takes pictures of the damage. I know why he did that but I keep my mouth shut. I trust this total stranger to recoup the cost of what will not be cheap repairs. I check over his information. I ask if the address is current. He tells me that the address is old and that he lives somewhere else. I tell him to take me to his home.

I follow him to his home. It is small. I take down the correct address. He invites me inside for a glass of water. I decline. I tell him I'll call him in the morning w/ an estimate. We shake hands. He tells me again how fucked he is. I think for a brief moment to just let it go, but the damages are too severe. I drive home.

So that's pretty much what happened tonight. On the drive back home, I felt so guilty. Here's a man w/ a young family. A man who's trying to do good by them. A man w/ real responsibility. A man who got into an accident that will fuck him financially meaning that he'll have to work more and his children will have to enjoy less b/c of it. A man my age. And here I am, a child of privilege who drives a nice car, eats at nice restaurants, and attends school to do what, make fucking movies? . I honestly thank God for this accident b/c it woke me up and made me realize that I take much too much for granted and that as much as I'd like to think otherwise, I am not a man.

LOVE
ALEX

1 Comments:

At 3:35 PM, Blogger robyn said...

sometimes i think that car accidents are the only moments in which we citizens of LA are forced to come face to face with each other. think of all the car-accident-connections that rope across this city and the way they link up despite demographics.
i'm glad you're okay, i'm glad they're okay, it's just a car, and yes, you are a man.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home