Wednesday, December 22, 2004

Montreal a demain

Shit dog I'm going to Montreal tomorrow!
Last night saw "Democracy" with my brother: I don't know what Ben Brantley was smoking the night he saw the show, but fucking jeepers what a disappointment! Sure, it was good but not the masterpiece Mr. Brantley made it out to be. Unlike Frayn's Copenhagen, Democracy had no emotional core to sustain the audience. In fact, it's the first time I've been to a play where the cast did not receive a standing O. I plan on seeing Reckless before I head "home" to LA: I think I love ML Parker.
Afterwards, I met up with Greg, Rachel, and Deme for drinks at Blue & Gold. I hadn't seen Rachel and Deme since the summer and it sure was fun catching up with the two loveliest ladies this side of the Mississips. I hope they come to visit me in LA this summer for I will show them a very nice time indeed.
Finally caught up with Life Aquatic today. Nice to bump into KVondy outside the theater: what a great gal. Anyway, I liked the movie enough to say I liked it though it's pretty clear Wes Anderson is starting to run out of steam. Pretty self-critical piece of filmmaking. Bill Murray wasn't terrible but he wasn't good. Though I hate to admit it, he was pretty incredible in Lost In Translation. Who's Wes' audience? There were maybe a handful of chuckles in the audience. I did find the jaguar-shark bit at the end very affecting and Cate Blanchett's character to be maybe the most lovely human being I've seen since Bernie Mac's Mr.3000 which btw is a fantastic fucking film and should not be missed on DVD come January.
So going up to Canada for a few days: have never been to Montreal but according to my cousin who went to McGill, the girls are outrageously hot and the weather bitter.
Merry Christmas! And to the nonbelievers, God's always knocking all you've got to do is let him in.
Love
Alex

1 Comments:

At 1:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, Sigur Ros really brought home the jaguar shark segment, though for me it came a little out of nowhere. I wish Wes Anderson had dropped the style from his innovative style and just leave the innovation. I wonder if that makes sense? Hope you're having a good time skiing!

Virginia is full of gaudy holiday decorations in poor taste,
Kat

 

Post a Comment

<< Home