Tuesday, October 25, 2005

SHOP GIRL

Caught a bunch of movies the past week and here's a recap:
GARCON STUPIDE: a pretty impressive Swiss bildungsroman of a feature about a naive manwhore named Loic. Shot on DV. It's essentially a film about getting yourself edumacated in the ways of culture and sex. And the sex is pretty graphic man-on-man action. I caught a 12:45 screening of it. Unsurprisingly, there were a lot of gay men there. Old gay men. Wearing Miami Dolphins jams. Their moustaches were very UNIRONIC.

SHOPGIRL: caught this w/ KVondy on a dreary Saturday afternoon. Wow. People have likened this to LOST IN TRANSLATION and BROKEN FLOWERS but it's far superior to those two doggieshits. Why? Because it's suffused with an indelibly grown-up/adult sensibility whereas LIT and BF are for kids. Claire Danes is perfect, the best she's been since I guess MY SO CALLED LIFE, though I don't remember that show very well. (poor grammar I know whatever) Steve Martin has so much more depth of feeling and humor than Bill Murray in either of those doggieshits. And Jason Schwartzman is actually very charming despite his ugly mug. LA is beautifully evoked (pretty neat to see Silverlake!) and the pacing is just right. I was on the verge of losing it at the end. I would've were there not a girl I knew well (as in dating) sitting next to me. Boys don't cry fuckers boys don't cry. Go see it now.

NORTH FOLK: p-uke. Eric's right: it's beautifully shot. And that's about it. Biggest problem is of course the casting. Charlize Theron is too much of a star and I couldn't believe for one moment that she knew what the fuck she was supposed to be doing in the mines. Ridiculous. Victims are boring too.

We also shot a bunch of new stuff over the weekend for the doc. Interview w/ Dr. Drew from Loveline the other night. He is mighty articulate. Adam Carolla is one wicked funny Gilber Gottfried impersonator.

LOVE
ALEX

2 Comments:

At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't let me get in the way of you being a wuss. It's nothing to be ashamed of. Let me know when you want to watch FRIED GREEN TOMATOES, or maybe BEACHES. I'll bring some Kleenex, the kind with lotion in the tissue for extra softness to gently dry those tears.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger SHL said...

You forgot STEEL MAGNOLIAS. I too think it's a shameful guise to put the blame on you...not brave enought to cry but he was brave enough (brave only in juxtaposition to Alex's world of course) to see a movie by himself in a room full of "homos" as he put it. Shame on...shame on you Alex. You fool me once...

Addendum: the "lay lady lay" bit of North Country was really great as was the sound design, the diddly-diddly score and helicopter shots.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home