Friday, December 31, 2004

Eric's 12/29 post

Eric writes:
Watching lots of news. Tsunami/Earthquake aftermath footage is terrifying. I’ve been feeling strange throughout the past few days, knowing how much of the world is suffering right now while I’m enjoying my lazy vacation here in Connecticut. Two places to donate: Redcross.org
idepfoundation

Family trip to Dominican Republic got canceled last minute. So I’m in my second week of lazy days at the family homestead in wintry Connecticut. Despite being Jewish (12 Tribes! Reprazent!), my dad’s family celebrates Christmas. So I got to see Dad’s side of the family. We exchanged presents (Cousin Johannes got me amazing sushi gear). Liked the Ted Leo “Shake the Sheets” album so much that I bought a copy for my cousin, ME-L. Hopefully it adds joy to his life. ‘Though not as much as if I’d been wise enough to buy him Ghostface’s Pretty Toney album… The gathering felt strange only ‘cause the only real news I had for family was that I’m unemployed.

Masa at the Time Warner Center got 4 stars in the New York Times today. I’m a sushi fiend, and hopefully I’ll hit it big with Alex and Kirschbaum in Vegas in ’05 so I can afford one day to be fed New York’s greatest fish and rice. Apparently, it’s $350 prix-fixe. Those unemployment checks can’t come fast enough…

Monday night, Cousin Johannes and I met up in the New York for dinner. Took dad’s splendid new whip into the city. (If anyone ever can afford an Audi S4, buy it. It’s one of the most enjoyable ways I’ve ever traveled from Point A to Point B. It’s got all-wheel drive, 340 horsepower, and a wonderful stereo). Everywhere we walked to was closed, so we ended up at Po on Cornelia Street. They gave me the wrong pasta and when I said it wasn’t what I ordered, the server said it was and left it there. Server told our waiter that I was okay with this. Waiter tried to remedy things but this didn’t stop everything from being kinda weird. The wine was good. The sformato - bland. The gnocchi with oxtail – nearly oxtailless. Maybe they were having an off-night. I dunno. In any case, Johannes moves with wife & kid to Rochester in March. Rochester? Home of the garbage plate? Yes, the very same.
Yes, I will visit as soon as possible. I mean, now I’ve got a reason to head to a Mecca for gluttons – Nick Tahou’s.

Been working on the script for the pilot. It’s slow going. I’m writing half and my writing partner is writing the other half. Then we’ll trade halves and work away…

Bought the Vashti Bunyan CD. http://www.anotherday.co.uk/ has info.
“Love Song” and “Winter is Blue” are the two songs I’ve been enjoying most.
Heard her mentioned in a Joanna Newsom article and thought I’d check her out.

Been listening to The Arcade Fire through the headphones a good deal.
The music from their tentacles has reached my eardrums and I now find myself infected…

More to come. - Eric

1 Comments:

At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There are a few books on the subject, some very

 

Post a Comment

<< Home